Brief History

Photo of Sun shining through dark clouds over the sea, at Rye Harbour

Photo taken by Richard Tollett

A station was established in 1803, when one of Greathead's Lifeboats was sent here. In 1833 the station was taken over by the Institution. In 1865 the boat was transferred to Camber, on the east side of the river Rother, but the name of the station was not changed. In the same year another Lifeboat was stationed at Winchelsea. Rye was closed in 1901 and in 1910 Winchelsea was renamed Rye Harbour . After the loss of the Mary Stanford in 1928, the station was closed until 1966, when a 'D' class inflatable was stationed here. A new boathouse was built during 1984/85 to house a 'C' class Lifeboat. The present boathouse was built during 1995 to house Atlantic 75 Lifeboat B-727 Commander and Mrs Rodney Wells took up station on 17th July 1996.

On the 11th June 2008 a Station Fundraising Team was established, for the first time in the stations history. Previously fundraising had been undertaken by the Rye and District Branch, which was moth-balled following dwindeling volunteer numbers. The remaining 5 volunteers are now part of the Station Fundraising Team.

The curent Station Atlantic 85 Lifeboat B-842 Hello Herbie was placed on service on 22 June 2010

A total of 3 Gold and 6 Silver medals have been awarded to Crew of Rye Harbour Station and 18 Crew from Rye Harbour Station have given their lives.