Significant Dates

Picture of Lifeboat B727


Gold medals to Lt. E. C. Earle RN and Lt. John Steane RN for their gallant efforeturned to station in trying to save the crew of the brig "FAME" on 1st February. All the crew were drowned but they recovered gold worth £3,000 from the wreck.


Gold medal to Lt. H. L. Parry RN for rescuing the master and thirty men from the French fishing boat "L' AIMEE" on 21st November 1831.


Silver medals to Lt. John Somerville RN and Lt. Richard Morgan for rescuing the Master and seven men from the "CONRAD". Four other men were drowned.


Silver medals to Lt. William Southey RN for rescuing the Master and six men from the French Brig "CHARLES TRONDE" Two men drowned.


Silver medal awarded to James Bacon, Master of the smack "BRITISH ROVER" for rescuing the Master and 12 men from the wreckage of the ship "SINGAPORE".


Silver medal awarded to William C. Buck, Chief Officer of the Coastguard Service for rescuing the Master of the fishing cutter "THETIS" which, during a gale force wind had sunk off 36 Tower, Winchelsea on the 13th February.


New Lifeboat house constructed at Rye at the cost of £350.


New Lifeboat house constructed at Winchelsea at the cost of £245.

Whilst proceeding to the assistance of S.S. "MARTIN" of Sunderland on the 4th November during a fresh gale, the Lifeboat was struck broadside by two heavy seas in quick succession, which capsized her. All the crew were thrown out, but with one exception, regained the boat. Edward Robus was washed ashore but was dead. Committee and Management voted £200 to the relief of the dependants.


Silver medal awarded to James Collins, Coxswain of the Rye Lifeboat in acknowledgement of his gallant services in which he assisted in saving 45 lives during the past 12 years.


Rye Station closed.


The worst disaster for many years occurred on 15th November when the whole of the 17 man crew of the Mary Stanford Lifeboat were drowned. After the disaster Rye Harbour Station was closed.


The present Inshore Lifeboat station was established, it was operational only during the summer months, March to October inclusively.


Framed letter of appreciation signed by the Chairman awarded to Keith W. Downey for the rescue of three of the seven people, two woman and a boy, on board the 24ft ketch "MIDLEY BELLE". The vessel had lost her main sheet and had engine failure whilst returning to harbour in an increasing fresh westerly wind, with seas eight feet high over the bar. The ketch was sailed by her crew into open sea and eventually taken in tow by the Dungeness Lifeboat.


A vellum was awarded to commemorate the stations aggregated service of 144 years service covering the periods 1803 to 1928 and 1966 to 1984.


A new boathouse was built.


Lifeboat C517 placed on station.


150th Anniversary Vellum awarded to the station.


The present boathouse was built.


Relief Atlantic 21 B548 came to station.

Atlantic 75 B727 "Commander and Mrs Rodney Wells" came to station on 17th July 1996. The naming of the Lifeboat and the service of dedication for the lifeboat and lifeboat house took place on the 19th October 1996.


On 11 June aFundraising Team was established at Rye Harbour Lifeboat Station, following the moth-balling of Rye and District Branch due to dwindling volunteer numbers - the remaining 5 volunteers joined the station to establish the Fundraising Team.


Atlantic 85 B-842 Hello Herbie was placed on service as the Station Lifeboat on 22 June.



A total of 3 Gold and 6 Silver medals have been awarded to Rye Harbour station. 18 men from Rye Harbour Station have given their lives.